Poll-Driven Gut-Checks; The Science of Politics

Poll-Driven Gut-Checks; The Science of Politics

Last week, a friend forwarded me a quote from a recent New Yorker article: “There is a benign underworld in American politics. It is not the underworld of cigar-chewing pot-bellied officials who mysteriously run “the machine.” Such men are still around, but their...
The Data Munging Blues

The Data Munging Blues

The most successful joke among statisticians (a low bar, I know) is that we spend 80 percent of our time cleaning data, and the other 20 percent complaining about cleaning data.The joke resonates with analysts because it rings true. We do spend a nontrivial amount of...
Pandas

Pandas

I recently presented at PyData Seattle, a conference hosted by Microsoft. It was focused on doing data analysis in the Python programming language — an emerging popular language among data analysts and scientists.I presented a tutorial on pandas. It’s a popular open...
Big Data: Not Just for Target

Big Data: Not Just for Target

The world of Big Data seems intimidating and elusive—uninhabitable unless you’re a Fortune 500 company with a fortune to spend. In actuality, small-and- medium sized companies can live in the same space as large corporations because of Big Data’s accessibility and...